Body Details True Laser® Centers have provided thousands of laser treatments to patients throughout South Florida. Whether you are someone who wants to rid yourself of unpleasant facial hair, remove an unwanted or embarrassing facial tattoo, or just want to rejuvenate your facial appearance, Body Details has a package that’s specifically designed for you.
But, how safe are laser treatments on the face?
Laser treatments have been approved to safely address many skin concerns on the face, from facial rejuvenation and scar treatment, to hair and tattoo removal. Lasers are effective at treating sun spots, acne scars, discoloration, fine lines, and more.
At Body Details, our medical professionals must meet our incredibly high safety standards, and all of our lasers are FDA-approved for their respective procedures. If you’re considering laser treatments for your face and you want to know why they’re so safe, read on. This article will give you a better understanding of these safe, effective treatments.
How Do Laser Treatments Work?
We provide several types of laser facial treatments at Body Details True Laser® Centers. Here is a brief overview of each:
Laser Hair Removal on the Face
At Body Details, we use the GentleMax Pro True Laser Class IV, which can be calibrated depending on skin type. While this is the most powerful hair removal laser in its class that’s been approved by the FDA, it is safe to use on the sensitive skin of the face.
The laser combines a 1064nm ND:YAG laser and 755 nm Alexandrite laser for a dual-wavelength. The laser is calibrated depending on the patient’s skin type in the region where we will be working. For lighter skin, the Alexandrite laser targets the hair shaft and sends pulses of laser light into the shaft. The light travels down the shaft to the root, where it heats the sac until it is rendered inert. At this point, it can no longer grow hair. After a short period, the hair falls out, and it will not grow back.
Dark skin works differently because the hair is often harder to detect and is thicker than with light skin. With darker skin, the wider 1064nm ND:YAG laser penetrates below the hair follicle to the capillaries that are feeding it. Once these capillaries are destroyed, the hair follicles they’re feeding die and are no longer able to produce hair.
Laser Tattoo Removal on the Face
For laser tattoo removal, our laser technicians use Syneron Candela’s PicoWay Resolve Laser. This FDA-approved laser targets the pigments in the tattoos and heats them up. This causes the ink to break down. The body then safely expels the much smaller ink particles. The PicoWay Resolve Laser uses two wavelengths. The 532 nm wavelength destroys red, yellow, and orange ink, while the 1064 nm wavelength is effective on black, brown, green, and blue. The lasers are calibrated based on the ink they’re targeting and the patient’s skin type.
Laser Skin Rejuvenation
Laser facial rejuvenation is effective at reducing scars, tightening loose skin, erasing large pores, removing discoloration, and more. For these treatments, our laser technicians use the PicoWay Resolve Laser. This best-in-class laser can safely be used to eradicate dead skin cells while stimulating collagen production. The result is clearer, healthier-looking skin in just a few treatments. As is the case with laser tattoo removal, the PicoWay Resolve Laser is calibrated for skin type and the purpose of the procedure.
What to Expect from Laser Facial Treatments
Regardless of the types of treatments you are seeking, the consultation process is similar You will schedule a free, no-obligation consultation at a Body Details True Laser® Center near you. A medical professional will examine your skin in the proposed treatment area and determine whether or not you’re a good candidate for a laser treatment. While laser treatments are an effective way to enhance the beauty of your skin, it’s important to ensure that the patient’s goals are achievable.
You will then schedule a course of treatments. Ideally, you will want to space treatments at least 5 weeks apart. For hair removal, it will allow your active hair follicles to move through the various phases of growth. There may be some hair follicles that the laser will not affect on the first treatment.
With tattoo removal, it’s important to allow time for the treated areas to dispense with the ink particles. After a period of time, we’ll be able to better see how much of the ink remains.
Finally, for skin rejuvenation, we need time to see the effectiveness of the treatment. 4 weeks will allow any swelling to dissipate and for healthy skin cells to regrow.
On the day of each treatment, you will come into our center, the laser tech will calibrate the laser device, and they will initiate treatment. Typically, your treatment will take less than half an hour.
Preparing for Laser Skin Treatment
Before your appointment, there are a few dos and don’ts that you should follow. Your laser technician will review these with you during your initial consultation.
- Don’t Pluck or Wax before Laser Hair Removal – The laser requires a small length of hair to target. While this hair may not be visible to the naked eye, the laser is able to acquire it. If you pluck or wax, it will take a week or two before your hair appears above the skin. Consequently, these activities are counterproductive.
- Do Shave 48 Hours Prior to Treatment – Unlike plucking or waxing, shaving only takes the hair down to the surface of the skin. After 24 to 48 hours, the stubble will allow enough shaft for the laser to acquire, but it will also shorten the laser’s journey down the shaft to the sac.
- Don’t Tan Prior to Any Treatments – Tanning causes skin damage, which is not conducive to laser treatments. If you tan in the sun or on a tanning bed within 72 hours of your treatment, you may have to reschedule your appointment.
- Do Check Your Medications – Certain medications are photosensitive and can either negate the effects of the laser or can cause the laser to damage the skin.
- Don’t Bleach Your Hair – Bleaching or lightening your facial hair will interfere with the laser’s ability to track it. After you shave your hair, allow the stubble to remain unaltered.
- Do Wash Your Face Prior to your Appointment – Come to your appointment with a clean face, clear of makeup, perfumes, or creams.
If you have any questions about what you should and shouldn’t do before your facial laser treatment, call ahead in advance.
Laser Skin Treatment Aftercare
Aftercare is also important for facial treatments. Your laser specialist will remind you of what you should and shouldn’t do after your treatments. In the meantime, here are the dos and don’ts for the period after your treatment:
- Do Cover the Treated Area With Sunscreen – Even if you don’t plan on being out in the sun, you should wear an SPF 15 sunscreen or higher to protect your skin from incidental sunlight. Reapply as necessary.
- Don’t Take Hot Showers or Baths for 24 Hours – Baths, showers, steam rooms, and saunas can open the pores and cause irritation or infection. Try to stick to cool showers and avoid using hot water on the face.
- Do Moisturize – Use perfume-free, natural moisturizers to help your skin recover.
- Don’t Wear Makeup – Allow two to three days after your treatments before using cosmetics.
You should also avoid swimming for a few days after treatments while your skin is recovering.
Frequently Asked Questions About Laser Facial Treatments
Many people who are considering a laser facial treatment have similar questions. These are some of the most frequently asked questions about laser facial treatments and safety.
What Type of Training Do Body Details Laser Technicians Have?
All of our laser technicians are medical professionals with advanced degrees — either physician assistants (PAs) or advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs). Additionally, they receive specific training for each laser device that they’ll be operating. All Body Details facilities are overseen by a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon as well.
Do Laser Treatments on the Face Hurt?
Most people have this question because facial skin is so sensitive. While some individuals do consider laser treatments to be mildly uncomfortable, it’s well tolerated. Our lasers are equipped with cooling devices to keep your skin comfortable as the laser does its work. If you should feel discomfort during your treatment, you can inform the technician so they can pause or stop.
Laser Centers in Florida
With over 20 Florida locations, there is bound to be a Body Details True Laser® Center near you. We have all-inclusive packages and generous financing terms. Our expanded hours mean that you don’t have to take time off of work for your treatments. We offer a free, no-obligation for all of our treatments, so call today!