Bodybuilding Competition Prep – Laser Hair Removal for Fitness Professionals
Whether you’re a professional bodybuilder, an amateur, or you’ve just put in the incredible amount of work that it takes to get into bodybuilding competition condition, you probably know how important it is to have a clean, smooth complexion. The appearance of cuts, scars, razor bumps, or rashes can cause you to drop a place or two in the rankings to other competitors that you may have otherwise easily beaten. Body Details True Laser® Centers has treated many Florida competition-level bodybuilder clients over the years. There’s a reason these pro athletes trust their skin to us. Read on to find out why.
How to Get Ready for a Body Building Competition
If you enter body-building competitions, you probably have your gym routine and diet locked down. Still, if you’re like many bodybuilders, you may be struggling with reliable ways to improve your complexion.
Bodybuilders need to have smooth skin, which can be accomplished in several ways. The most common are shaving, waxing, and laser hair removal. Hair removal is an essential part of the preparation process because hair can obscure your muscle, and even a light stubble can distract the judges. Men with dark hair or hairy bodies, in particular, face a challenge since their hair can create a shadow as the stubble quickly grows in. That means that shaving is somewhat impractical for bodybuilders. We’ll examine alternate hair removal options in later sections.
Tanning and Bronzing
Most competitions take place on some sort of stage with extraordinarily bright lights. The reason for the intense illumination is so that the judges and audience can fully appreciate the fine definition of the competitor. But bright lights are problematic for many bodybuilders. For one, any skin imperfections become immediately apparent under the hot, white lights. Additionally, the lighting washes out fairer skin, so bodybuilders need to show up with a tan. Florida has its advantages, and one of those is that bodybuilders are able to darken their skin in the natural sunlight. But because of the consistency, bodybuilders may also opt for tanning beds to help darken the skin in the days before the competition. Finally, almost all light-skinned body-building competitors use a bronzer to really bring out their definition.
Oiling the Skin
In the same way that the bright lighting can give a competitor a washed-out look, it can also hide definition by eliminating shadows that cause the cuts and striations to look more pronounced. The oil’s shine helps reverse this lighting phenomenon by making the peaks and valleys of the bodybuilder’s physique more apparent.
Why Body Builders Shave
Shaving is actually one of the least practical ways to deal with hair removal before a competition. If you shave too early, you will inevitably have stubble by stage time. If you wait until the hours before the competition, you can end up with a rash, nicks, or irritation. Folliculitis and ingrown hairs are also common problems. Not to mention that you are going to need help shaving difficult-to-reach spots, like the upper back. So, why do so many bodybuilders shave? It’s a little baffling since there are so many drawbacks. One reason may be that they’re used to shaving their face, so it seems body shaving is an effective solution. Another reason may be inexperience. If it’s their first or second competition, they may not have wanted to commit to a more permanent solution even though it will save them money in the long run. Those who take competitive bodybuilding seriously know that shaving is a less-than-ideal solution.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Hair Removal Methods
If you haven’t thought this part of the competition through, any solution is probably better than no solution. However, there are advantages and disadvantages to each method of laser hair removal. We will review each one.
While shaving is one of the most popular hair removal methods, it’s also maybe the least advantageous for bodybuilders.
Advantages of Shaving
- You can do most of it yourself (except for your back).
- It’s inexpensive in the short term.
- You can use it to touch up certain spots where the hair grows quickly.
Disadvantages of Shaving
- It leaves stubble that will show up in the bright lights.
- The chances of being able to shave your entire body with no nicks or razor bumps are non-existent.
- If you shave too close to the competition, it can result in a rash.
- The costs of razors and shaving cream make it more expensive over time.
- Shaving takes time away from your other pre-competition prep.
Waxing is a better solution than shaving for a few reasons. Waxing lasts longer, so you can do it a few days before the competition to ensure that your skin has time to heal from the process.
- It lasts longer than shaving, so there’s less chance that you’ll have stubble during competition.
- If you can plan it out a few days before the competition, it can result in the smooth skin you need to win.
- It’s not a permanent process, so it’s necessary to do it ahead of each competition.
- Waxing requires there to be some stubble for the wax to adhere to, so if you have competitions that are close together — a week or two apart — you won’t be able to wax twice.
- Getting a nearly full-body wax can be expensive and isn’t permanent.
- Waxing can be very painful as hair is removed by pulling it from the skin.
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a non-invasive medical procedure that permanently eliminates hair. It has many advantages over shaving and waxing, which is why many professional bodybuilders opt for it.
- Laser hair removal is permanent, so you can save this step in your bodybuilding competition prep.
- If you time the treatments correctly, your skin will not have any redness resulting from the procedure by the time of the competition.
- If you choose Body Details True Laser® Centers, you will be covered by our Devil’s in the Details™ guarantee, which means that you can come in for free laser hair removal touchups for life under the written terms and conditions.
- The process takes about 30 minutes per treatment — less than the time it takes to shave your body or wax.
- You can have laser hair removal to target difficult-to-reach body parts.
- It’s the most cost-effective option in the long run by far.
- Laser hair removal may require a few sessions before you achieve the desired results though there will be roughly 6 week periods of hairlessness between treatments. (Body Details packages are all-inclusive, so you don’t pay more if extra sessions are required.)
- Laser hair treatment immediately before a competition isn’t ideal since there may be mild redness for 24 hours.
How Laser Hair Removal Works
Laser hair removal works by targeting the hair shaft with directed pulses of laser light. The light travels down the shaft, hitting the root and rendering it incapable of growing hair. With darker skin, the laser can be recalibrated to destroy the capillaries that feed the root. Both methods are effective and result in permanent hair removal.
Body Details True Laser® Centers utilize the GentleMax Pro True Laser Class IV medical laser for laser hair removal. This is the most powerful laser in its class that’s been approved by the FDA. It combines a 755-nm alexandrite laser with a 1064-nm Nd:YAG laser making it not only safe but customizable for your specific skin type. A medical professional calibrates the instrument according to skin type and administers the treatment with precision. Body Details also uses the dynamic cooling device (DCD) to help keep you comfortable during the laser hair removal process.
Questions and Answers About Laser Hair Removal
If you’re a competitive bodybuilder, we know how essential it is to have a healthy, glowing complexion. Researching how to get smooth skin is just part of gaining a competitive edge. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions by bodybuilding athletes.
Why is Laser Hair Removal Best for Body Builders?
The advantages of laser hair removal are numerous, but for bodybuilders, it can be a game-changer. To begin with, because it’s permanent, you don’t have to worry about timing the hair removal for competition. Additionally, because it’s permanent, you will no longer need assistance shaving your back and other areas that are difficult to reach. Finally, it can help you avoid skin irritation or bacterial conditions that attack the follicles, like folliculitis.
How Many Sessions Does Laser Hair Removal Require?
Most patients require 5-10 sessions for each body part. We can, however, treat multiple body parts in one session. You will be able to see immediate results, but until your treatments are complete, you may see some hair growth. We can better assess the number of treatments you’ll require during your free, no-obligation initial consultation.
Are There Any Side Effects or After Effects with Laser Hair Removal?
Red skin is common after a laser hair removal session, but it usually only lasts 1-3 days. For this reason, we recommend that you do not get a laser hair removal treatment the days immediately before the competition. That will give your skin enough time to heal and return to its normal color. To assist in healing, you can apply a skin moisturizer to the affected area.
Is There Any Downtime After a Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
No. In fact, you can schedule treatment right before your workout.
Do I Have to Avoid Tanning After Laser Hair Removal?
Your skin will be sensitive after LHR, so it’s better to wait a few days for the skin to heal before you resume your tanning regimen.
What Other Services Does Body Details Offer?
We provide a number of services to improve body and skin aesthetics. Some of these include laser lipolysis (fat reduction), laser tattoo removal, laser scar reduction, skin rejuvenation, and injectables. You can discuss your goals with a medical professional during your free assessment.
Laser Hair Removal in Florida
With multiple locations throughout Florida and Georgia, Body Details True Laser® Centers is the laser hair removal provider of choice for bodybuilders competing in the Sunshine State and Georgia. Contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation where a medical professional will answer all of your questions. Call now to give yourself a winning edge.